Turmeric Coconut Yellow Dal Soup
Prep for this soup in less than 10 minutes. The base of this is yellow mung dal, basmati rice, and fresh veggies. All elements that nourish our digestive tract. With coconut milk and extra spices, it is a variation of the well known Ayurvedic dish called Kitchari which is often used for "resetting" the digestive tract. This soup keeps nicely for several days and can be easily reheated when everyone needs to eat.
- 1 cup yellow mung daal
- 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. fennel powder
- 2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 3-5 saffron strands ok to omit
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced leek
- 1 cup fresh squash /zucchini
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup fresh greens (kale/bok choy, etc)
- ½ cup celery
- 1 Quart (4 cups) Veggie Stock
- 16 oz can light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce/braggs liquid aminos
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pink salt to your taste
- Juice of one lime (added at the end)
Put everything except cilantro/sprouts AND coconut milk into a slow cooker/instapot on med/hi heat for 1 hour.
In the last 10 minutes add the coconut milk at a lower heat to prevent from curdling.
As you serve, add approx. 1/1 - 1 tsp fresh squeezed lime juice per bowl.
Garnish with fresh cilantro/sprouts /hemp seeds/sesame seeds/toasted cumin as a garnish