2 stalks celery, chopped
1 shallots, finely sliced
1-inch piece of ginger, grated
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cups kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
1 cup artichoke hearts chopped (canned or steamed until tender)
3 yellow squash, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin seeds or ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
Juice of 1 lemon
1-2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1. Sauté Base Ingredients: In a large pot (I like to use as seen in the video an instant pot on the saute setting), heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, celery, and ginger. Sauté until shallots are translucent and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
2. Add Spices: Stir in the cumin, turmeric and coriander, letting them toast lightly for a minute until aromatic.
3. Add Vegetables: Add the chopped carrots, kale, artichoke heart, and yellow squash to the pot. Stir well, ensuring the vegetables are coated with the spices and sauté mixture. Add quinoa.
4. Broth and Simmer: Pour in the vegetable broth or water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. This is a great recipe for the instapot. Keep in on the saute setting until the broth comes to low boil and then change it to high setting of slow cook while everything combines.
5. Blend (Optional): For a smoother soup, you can use an immersion blender to pulse the soup a few times, or transfer half of the soup to a blender, blend until smooth, and mix it back into the pot. I love to do this.
6. Finishing Touches: Stir in the lemon juice and nutritional yeast. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the soup to simmer for an additional 5 minutes for flavors to meld.
7. Serve: Ladle the soup into bowls. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, if desired, and sprinkle some more nutritional yeast on top for a cheesy finish. You can add toasted hemp seeds or pine nuts for some extra flavor.
Keywords: vegan, soup, artichoke dip