Discover the joys of healthy eating with our nutrient-dense vegan potato salad, enriched with the crunch of seasonal vegetables and the vibrancy of fresh basil. The basil, packed with vitamin K and magnesium, beautifully complements the tangy vegan mayo-yogurt dressing, while the addition of turmeric offers a multitude of health benefits from anti-inflammatory properties to boosting brain function. This mindful recipe, inspired by a delightful visit to a local ‘you pick’ farm, is a perfect blend of taste and nutrition for those seeking a balanced, plant-based lifestyle. Experience this explosion of flavors and colors, making your meals not just a daily routine, but a feast for your palate and eyes. #VeganPotatoSalad #HealthyEating #SeasonalVegetables #BasilBenefits #TurmericBenefits #MindfulEating #PlantBasedLifestyle
- 2 lbs (approximately 6 medium) waxy potatoes (like Yukon Gold)
- 1 cup radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (you can add more if needed)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 1–2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Paprika for garnish (optional)
- Tumeric for garnish (grated or fresh)
1. Scrub the potatoes clean, then cut them into 1-inch cubes. Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover them. Alternatively, you can boil whole potatoes and slice when done but the cooking time is longer.
2. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and let the potatoes simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
3. While the potatoes are boiling, prepare the other vegetables. Thinly slice the radishes and finely dice the celery. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegan mayonnaise, vegan yogurt, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon, salt, and pepper. This will be your dressing.
5. Once the potatoes are done, drain them well and let them cool for a few minutes.
6. After they have cooled, place the potatoes in a large bowl. Add the radishes, celery, and dressing to the bowl. Toss until everything is well-coated with the dressing.
7. Stir in the freshly chopped basil.
8. For the best flavor, cover the salad and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours before serving, to let the flavors meld together. You can also make this salad a day in advance. If you take it on a picnic, it does need to be chilled.
9. Before serving, taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Sprinkle with paprika and/or turmeric. You can also add the turmeric directly to the dressing.
10. Serve cold or at room temperature (when ready to eat), and enjoy!
This salad is packed with nutrients from the potatoes, radishes, and celery, and it’s a great vegan alternative to traditional potato salad. Plus, it’s perfect for summer BBQs and picnics!