Instructions on how to make nori rolls at home.
- 1 Pickled burdock root per nori (be sure that it does not have MSG on the package if you get from an Asian market)
- 1/2 cup Blanched asparagus/kale (boil in hot water for 60 seconds and then remove to cool water bath)
- 4 Toasted nori sheets
- 2 Shredded carrots (use a julienne or vegetable slicer )
- 1/2 cup Faux tuna (sunflower/almond/umeboshi/lemon/dulce seaweed mixture )
- 1 Avocado (sliced)
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 cup Sushi rice cooked
- 1/4 cup Kimchi (unpasterizued so that it has benefical probitoics )
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
Making the Faux Tuna
- In food processor, blend 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/4 cup raw almonds with outer cover removed (can also use blanched almonds), 1 tsp umeboshi plum paste, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp dulce seaweed
Making Sushi Rice
- How to tutorial link from Food Network
Putting the rolls together
- Toast the nori roll over medium heat for about 10 seconds. Then place onto a bamboo roller. Some peopel put plastic over the bamboo roller however I do not do this.
- Add the sushi rice placing gently over approx half of the nori sheet.
- Begin layering your other ingredients lengthwise.
- I generally put the flatter ingredients (greens, kimchi) first and long thin ingredients last.
- You can add siricha to the rice mixture or if the kimchi is spicy hold off on this.
- Using the bamboo roller, fold one of the edges over and gradually begin the process of rolling the nori roll. Keep your hands wet to prevent the contents from sticking to you.
- Once the roll is compact (sometimes i will push the roll backwards as i go – I think I'll do a video in the future) it is ready to be sliced. (check this out HOW TO MAKE SUSHI for now. Using a very sharp knife that has been dipped in water, begin slicing the rolls into the desired width. If it is a thick roll, thinner is easier and if it is a thinner roll, then thicker slices can apply.
- Serve with soy suace and wasabi and enjoy~
Please note that the calories are appoximate as how you create your roll could vary considerably.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Calories: 215
Keywords: Nori Roll, Vegan